History of FUMC

As one of the oldest continual congregations in Jefferson City, we are proud of our heritage.First United Methodist Church of Jefferson City first occupied its current location in 1884 when the property was acquired. At the time of purchase, FUMC stood in the heart of downtown Jefferson City.

With Carson Newman College nearby there has always been a strong relationship. Many faculty members have been in leadership roles at FUMC and many students have made the church their religious home-away-from-home while at school. With the opening of the zinc mines, building of Cherokee dam, and expansion of the Magnavox plant, FUMC experienced waves of new people coming into the area.

We remain a welcoming church and invite those individuals and families new to our community, for whatever reason. Over the years since 1884, FUMC acquired other properties on the block. Today the church owns the entire block and has many hopes and dreams for the property. We have always been a community focused church with many ties to Carson Newman College, Appalachian Outreach, Habitat for Humanity, and other community service organizations. We have been active in the community worship services and will continue to be grounded in our community, region, state, nation, and world so that God may be glorified in all we do.

Come and create your own place in history.

First United Methodist Church